Licensing Requirements for Military Personnel

License and ID

While you are on active duty and stationed outside Massachusetts, you are not required to renew your Massachusetts license, however, your dependents are. For insurance purposes or other reasons you may wish to renew your licenses during your military service. In such cases, the RMV will issue special non-photo driver's licenses if you are stationed outside of Massachusetts.

Non-photo driver's licenses can only be requested by mail. To order a non-photo license renewal, mail payment of the renewal fee and a copy of your military ID along with a completed Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application to:

Driver Licensing
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889

If you return to Massachusetts after your honorable discharge from active duty, you have sixty (60) days to renew your expired Massachusetts license.

If you are a nonresident stationed in the Commonwealth, you must have a valid license from your home state to drive in Massachusetts.

Gov Delivery MassDOT Twitter MassDOT Flicker MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Instagram MassDOT Blog MassDOT SocialMedia MassDOT Developer Resources
Translation Disabled |  Translation Support
Copyright © 2017 Commonwealth of Massachusetts